Wednesday, April 27, 2005

 

Found in a Whitehall dustbin

I was nosing around the dustbins in Whitehall this afternoon. (You often find some discarded smoked salmon there.)

A document caught my eye. It had "Do it again! TB" scrawled across the bottom in red, but it was still possible to read the text. Here are a few highlights:

The language of resolution 1441 leaves the position unclear and the statements made on adoption of the resolution suggest that there were differences of view within the Council as to the legal effect of the resolution.

I remain of the opinion that the safest legal course would be to secure the adoption of a further resolution to authorise the use of force.

You will need to consider very carefully whether the evidence of non-cooperation and non-compliance by Iraq is sufficiently compelling to justify the conclusion that Iraq has failed to take its final opportunity.

There are no grounds for arguing that an "unreasonable veto" would entitle us to proceed on the basis of a presumed Security Council authorisation.

I decided to send a page of it to the Guardian. If they give in to my demands, sack Polly Toynbee and give me a twice-weekly column, I may send them another page tomorrow.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?